John Ogilby Map of 1675

The earliest cartographic reference to Langford that we have found to date is that appearing in John Ogilby’s linear road map of 1675. This was entitled “Continuation of the Road from London to Bristol…Continued to Huntspil”. You can see a picture of the map in the Gallery section.

Essentially the map shows the old coach route from Bristol to Exeter passing through Bridgwater approximately following the route of today’s A38. It is possible to make out Perry Bridge, and Burrington Church, and of course the ford that gave the village its name.

It was, as we now know the passing of the coach route through the village of Langford, that put us on the map! The survey has two flourishing coach inns in the village, The White Hart Inn ( now the Langford) and The Green Dragon Inn ( formerly on the site of Richmond House). More information on the Inns appears in the Research News section.

Monthly archives:

  • May 2019
  • January 2017
  • November 2016
  • January 2016
  • December 2015
  • September 2015
  • July 2014
  • July 2013
  • January 2013
  • August 2012
  • April 2012
  • March 2011
  • January 2011
  • December 2010
  • November 2010
  • June 2010
  • March 2010
  • February 2010
  • January 2010
  • December 2009